Before and After Your Surgery
One week prior to surgery, our office will call you to review your pre-operative instructions and answer any additional questions.
On the day of surgery, you will arrive to the surgical centre approximately one hour prior to your procedure. You will meet with Dr. Dawes, the anesthetist and the recovery room staff. We will review your surgical plan, provide you with an opportunity to ask any last-minute questions and help you to feel as comfortable as possible.
Following your surgery, you can expect to remain in the recovery room for two to four hours. During this time, you will be under the care of qualified, compassionate nursing staff who will administer appropriate medications and prepare you to be released home under the care of another responsible adult.
You will see Dr. Dawes before you are released from the surgical facility. At that time, you and your caregiver will be provided with a post-op recovery checklist. On the evening of your procedure, Dr. Dawes, or one of his qualified staff, will call or visit you to evaluate your progress and recovery. You will also be given a 24-hour contact number should you have any urgent questions or concerns.
Depending on the procedure, Dr. Dawes will perform surgery at one of the following fully-accredited surgical facilities:
- Minor procedures may be performed at the Rockyview Professional Centre at Surgical Centres Incorporated.
- Aesthetic outpatient procedures will be performed at the Rockyview Professional Centre.
- Larger reconstructive outpatient procedures will be performed at the South Health Campus.
An appropriate candidate is one with realistic expectations, overall good health, a positive self-image, and a well-developed reason for pursuing a particular plastic surgery procedure. He or she will understand that while improving a particular trait may enhance their self-image, it may not improve their overall quality of life.
The risks associated with each procedure vary, and will be thoroughly discussed with you during consultation and again prior to scheduling surgery.
- You are an appropriate candidate for plastic surgery
- Your surgeon is a board-certified plastic surgeon with experience and proper credentials
- The surgery will be performed at a fully-accredited surgical centre or hospital
- You will follow all pre- and post-operative instructions, including no smoking