A facelift isn’t just a cosmetic procedure – it can improve your self-confidence and give you a whole new outlook on life. If you are scheduled for a facelift, there are some things you should know and do to ensure your comfort and a quick recovery.
Things to know/do before the procedure
You will be given specific instructions to follow by your doctor, but here are some things to keep in mind:
- You should stop taking nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications, such as ibuprofen, and you should also stop taking aspirin at least 1 week before surgery.
- You should stop smoking 6 weeks before surgery, because it can increase the risk of complications during surgery.
- Prepare your recovery space before the surgery. Make sure you have a spot to relax where you will be comfortable and everything you’ll need is within reach. Also, make sure you’ve got lots of healthy food ready so that you don’t have to put a lot of effort into preparing food once you get home.
- Don’t forget that you’ll need someone to pick you up from the procedure. You may even want to ask someone to stay overnight with you as well, to help out with anything you need.
- Don’t make any big plans for at least a week after the procedure. You want to make sure you have enough time to relax and recover.
Things to know/do for after the procedure
- Don’t worry about bruising and swelling, as this is normal after a face lift and can last for up to 2 weeks.
- Make sure you strictly follow any instructions your doctor has given to you regarding medications, bandages, etc.
- Don’t try to perform any strenuous activity, but do get up and walk around the day after surgery. This will help your tissues to heal by getting your blood flowing.
Facelifts are a common procedure, but if you’ve never had one before you may have a few questions. Dr. Jeffrey Dawes and his staff can give you the details about your upcoming procedure and what you can expect afterwards. Call Plastic and Dermatologic Surgery in Calgary at (403) 571-3141 for a facelift consultation today!