A tummy tuck is a very popular procedure that can make a big difference in how you look and in how you feel about yourself. However, it is still surgery – and that may have you hesitating about jumping in and finally doing it. Are you wondering if it is finally time to go ahead and get a tummy tuck? Here are 7+ things to consider as you make your decision!
Are you ready for a tummy tuck?
You might be ready for a tummy tuck if:
1. You are healthy, you don’t smoke, and you are at a stable weight. Perhaps you have just finished losing a lot of weight but there is just a little bit of fat that you can’t get rid of.
2. You understand that a tummy tuck is not a weight-loss procedure in itself, and that it is just meant to get rid of excess fat and skin. You also understand that a tummy tuck is not a substitute for a healthy diet and exercise.
3. You have realistic expectations about what a tummy tuck can do.
4. You are done having children. Pregnancy can change your body dramatically, and it can alter the results you’ve enjoyed after your tummy tuck. Many women wait until they are done having children until they get a tummy tuck.
5. You can take time to recover, both physically and mentally. You’ll need at least a couple of weeks off of work and a few weeks free of heavy physical activity. You’ll also need a break from stress, so that you can relax and focus on healing.
6. You want the procedure for your own personal reasons – not because someone else thinks you should have it done and not to fulfill some ideal image.
7. You understand that any surgery comes with risks.
If you think you might be ready for a tummy tuck but you’re not sure, call for a consultation from Jeffrey C. Dawes, MD, FRCSC Plastic and Dermatologic Surgery in Calgary. He can discusses your options with you and what you hope to achieve and can help you to make this important decision. Call (403) 571-3141 today!