Breast augmentation surgery is the most common cosmetic surgery procedure done in the United States, with about 300,000 surgeries performed each year. If you’re considering this popular procedure to enhance your self-image and confidence, here is a checklist that can help you determine if it may be right for you:
- You are physically healthy. During your consultation, you will discuss your medical history and any concerns with Dr. Dawes. You will want to avoid smoking and excessive drinking and follow a healthy diet. Women who are pregnant or breastfeeding, and anyone with a major illness or active infection are not candidates for surgery.
- You feel your breasts are too small. Micromastia is a medical term that describes the underdevelopment of breast tissue. It can be bilateral (affecting both breasts) or unilateral (only affecting one breast). Breast implants can help give you a more proportional shape.
- Your breasts have lost volume and shape. Pregnancy, aging and significant weight loss can all change the shape of your breasts and contribute to the “deflated” look.
- Your breasts aren’t the same size. Due to puberty, hormonal changes or trauma, one breast may be larger than the other. Breast augmentation surgery gives you a more symmetrical look.
- You are doing this for you. Breast augmentation is a life-changing procedure, and the results can be extremely rewarding. But you must do your research and make sure you are having this surgery performed to meet your needs and desires, not to meet someone else’s expectations.
- You are aware of risks. This procedure is generally considered safe, but risks come with any surgery. Saline implants are FDA-approved for patients 18 years old or older, while silicone gel implants are FDA-approved for those 22 years and older.
- You will have support during recovery. Breast augmentation is a major surgery, so you will want someone to help you when you return home after surgery. You will have specific postoperative instructions from Dr. Dawes and his team, and you must follow directions closely for a smoother recovery.
Patient satisfaction is high when it comes to breast augmentation surgery. If you’re interested in learning more about this procedure, call 403.571.3141 to schedule your comprehensive consultation. Dr. Dawes will help you determine which implant would best suit your body so you can attain the look you desire.